Did you know that skin is the largest external organ of the human body? This incredible organ which most of us take for granted protects our internal organs from injury and bacteria without us even realizing it. The importance of skincare is felt now more than ever due to ever-increasing cases of serious health issues like cancer, cosmetic and aging effects on the skin, hair, fat, nails, and other oral and genital membranes.
Dermatology, the branch of science which deals with the diagnosis and treatment of skin diseases deals with the above-mentioned aspects which are studied, diagnosed, and treated for improvement and cure. The term dermatology is derived from the word ‘derma’, which is Greek for ‘skin’. The overall health of the body can be gauged by the color, temperature, and texture of the skin. This makes dermatology an important field of study for diagnosing and treating a plethora of health conditions. There are other sub-disciplines of dermatology that separates related skin conditions and their treatments in a comprehensible way. These are – cosmetic dermatology, dermatopathology, immuno-dermatology, pediatric dermatology, and teledermatology.
The scope of this article is to understand and discuss cosmetic dermatology – the aspect of dermatology that focuses on the patient’s aesthetical appearance. Most of the procedures and treatments performed by a dermatologist (someone who specializes in the field of dermatology and is involved with medical or surgical treatments of skin conditions) are cosmetic, such as filler injections, botox, hair removal or transplantation, laser therapy and laser surgery, liposuction, eyelid surgery ( blepharoplasty ) and many more.
Let us dive deeper into each of the conditions and the treatments for the conditions which are performed by dermatologists as a part of cosmetic dermatology. Starting from mild treatments such as facials and microdermabrasion, we will move onto more complex treatments such as botox and laser treatments.
Major Skin Conditions and Their Cosmetic Treatment
If you are looking for mild cosmetic treatments like facials and chemical peels for achieving a smoother and more radiant complexion, there are a host of professional skin-care services made available by pioneering cosmetic institutes like –
Rejuvenation and Hydration
Medical Grade Chemical Peels
For those who are looking for more specific treatments like facelifts and botox injections, the following list of procedures provided by Pacifica Center for Plastic Surgery will help you decide upon your procedure of choice.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic: BOTOX treatments are a go-to anti-aging remedy for anyone hoping to treat or prevent dynamic wrinkles.
- Dysport®: A popular alternative to BOTOX, Dysport can temporarily treat dynamic wrinkles caused by normal facial expressions.
- JUVÉDERM®: JUVÉDERM is a dermal filler that can restore lost facial volume by temporarily plumping up areas of the face and filling in deep wrinkles.
- Restylane®: This filler is made with hyaluronic acid to provide a natural plumping effect and can be used to enhance the lips or treat facial wrinkles.
- BELOTERO BALANCE®: Most commonly applied to the nasolabial folds, the creases the run from the sides of the nose to the corners of the lips, BELOTERO BALANCE can smooth away deep creases for a younger look.
- RADIESSE®: This popular wrinkle filler can be applied to lines around the mouth, sunken cheeks, and even the backs of the hands.
- KYBELLA®: KYBELLA injections can treat a double chin by dissolving fat cells for a more graceful and defined appearance.
- Medical Treatments: Looking your best is a process that starts on the inside. Medical treatments include vitamin injections and IV therapies.
And finally, the most hyped of them all, laser treatment is the best option for you if you are looking for something which does not lead to scars and incision marks on your skin. Laser treatments are nonsurgical and hence non-invasive ways to get rid of worrying conditions like body hair and sun damage. Here is a lowdown of the major laser treatments which can help you in achieving your desired results.
- BBL Photofacial: The BBL Photofacial uses BroadBand Light to treat a range of skin concerns, including sun damage, age spots, and more.
- MicroLaserPeel®: The MicroLaserPeel® treatment removes a thin layer of damaged skin to improve texture and provide a more youthful appearance.
- Halo™ Hybrid Fractional Laser Resurfacing: Laser skin resurfacing with the Halo Hybrid laser uses a range of wavelengths to attack blemishes at various depths for a comprehensive rejuvenating treatment.
- ProFractional Laser Resurfacing: ProFractional laser therapy stimulates your skin’s healing process with minimal downtime.
- Laser Hair Removal: Laser hair removal can be applied almost anywhere on the face or body for a smooth look and feel without the hassle of waxing or plucking.
- diVa® Laser Vaginal Therapy: Non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation with diVa® can improve tightness and sensation without downtime.
It is best to choose your dermatologist after thorough research and consultation as the expert who performs the treatment will have a big impact on the effectiveness of the procedure. Since these procedures are non-invasive, there is no need to take time off work for complete recovery post- appointment with your dermatologist. However, please note that some after-effects such as redness, dryness, and peel are bound to occur depending on the particular treatment you undergo. Nothing to worry about as these symptoms will fade away after a few hours or days. While you may notice results right after the treatment, complete effectiveness will show after a few weeks after the procedure.
We recommend consulting an experienced dermatologist before you make your next move. If you don’t find the answers you are looking for, don’t hesitate to give us a call at 805-491-9535, and we will schedule your consultation with one of our Camarillo based board-certified dermatologists at Pacifica Center for Plastic Surgery.