Image – Pexels
Going for a breast augmentation surgery is a bold decision to make. Given the risks involved and the chances of failure or unsatisfactory results, overcoming these thoughts and going all-in for your desired breasts is a feat in its own right. But some things are inevitable in life and so is depreciation.
If you have had a breast implant surgery but you no longer are a fan of how your breasts look, or you have had other complications due to which you want to redo the process, breast revision surgery might be the answer you are looking for. It is the best option when you want to replace your breast implants.
What Is A Breast Revision Surgery?
A breast implant revision is a cosmetic procedure that replaces the old breast implants with new ones and upgrades the overall appearance of your breasts.
There can be multiple reasons as to why patients would want breast revision surgery. This may include altering the shape and size of the implants, as many women tend to become unsatisfied with their first implants and sooner or later they realize that a bigger implant would be better. Or on the contrary, some women may want a more natural look and thus they want to reduce the size of the implants, though this case is generally rare as compared to the prior one.
Another reason could be that the patient wants to switch from a saline implant to silicone or vice-versa. Sometimes a faulty implant can lead to capsular contracture, an implant leak, or a rupture. A breast revision can also include a breast lift to reduce the appearance of sagging breasts caused due to sagging implants or sagging tissues over the implants.
As a breast revision surgery is often performed to correct the pre-existing complications from the surgery before this one, it is bound to be more complex than a normal breast augmentation surgery. Hence this surgery should only be performed by board-certified surgeons who have eminent experience in performing all kinds of breast augmentation surgeries, including breast revision surgery.
How to Know If You Need To Go For A Breast Revision Surgery?
There are some telltale signs which show that you need breast revision surgery, let us discuss them one by one.
- Capsular contracture can cause pain and needs to be treated by capsulotomy or capsulectomy before a breast revision to release tightness from the scar tissue. If you are feeling pain because of this, do consult a cosmetic surgeon and get it treated as soon as possible.
- Sometimes a breast implant heals differently from the other one and this leads to asymmetrical breasts. This results in losing out on the main objective of having breast surgery done. Even if you have had asymmetrical breasts without a breast implant surgery, it is a strong reason to go for a breast revision surgery.
- A rare but serious condition of the breasts called symmastia arises when both the breasts become connected through a web of skin, fat, and tissues, resulting in something called a ‘uni-boob’. This can be repaired only by a breast revision surgery.
- Breast implants tend to bottom out when there is poor tissue elasticity. This shows as the breast implant tissue falls lower on the chest wall. A breast revision surgery is required to correct the configuration of the breast implant.
- If a capsular contracture distorts the implant position, the breast tissue starts sagging and cascading off the implant, it results in an unnatural look. This calls for a breast revision surgery.
When some major changes occur in your body due to factors such as weight loss or weight gain, pregnancy, and aging in general, breast implants are the way to go to regain the proper structure and form for your breasts.
We recommend consulting an experienced cosmetic surgeon before you make your next move. If you don’t find the answers you are looking for, don’t hesitate to give us a call at 805-491-9535, and we will schedule your free consultation with one of our Camarillo, California based board-certified cosmetic surgeon at Pacifica Center for Plastic Surgery. Our surgeons at Pacifica in Camarillo, California are specialists in performing breast implants and breast revision surgeries.